Events@Tech Calendar Help
- How can I submit an event?
- How do I cancel a user submitted event?
- Administrator submitted events.
- Upcoming events weekly email.
NOTE:The events calendar is only for University-sanctioned events open to the University community or the general public. It is not for private organization meetings/parties, departmental meetings, continuing education or regular class courses. Student organization public events will be automatically pulled from OrgSync. Please be sure that your organization is in OrgSync and submit your events there.
The submissions web client allows authenticated members of the Louisiana Tech community to suggest public events. You can log into the client from left column of the Events@Tech calendar or by clicking http://events.latech.edu/eventsubmit/.
Submitted events do not automatically go into Events@Tech. They are placed in a "moderation" queue, visible to administrators. Event administrators can publish, delete, or update the event. If the event is published, it is displayed in the Events@Tech calendar.
Adding an event through the submissions client is very similar to adding an event in the administration client. Most of the fields are the same. The main differences are that the fill-in form is broken into a few screens -- with next and previous links added, the submitter's email address is requested, and a text box is provided for any additional instructions. The calendar administrator who is reviewing the suggested event might email the submitter for clarification. Another difference is that there is no place to add recurrence rules. The submitter can cover those in the instructions text box.
If you need to cancel an event, please contact email@example.com with the event name, date, and a link to the event. We will change the event and it will be shown as "CANCELLED" in the calendar.
Log into the Administrative Web Client
The administrative web client is the control center for managing public events. When logged in you are presented with the main menu tab view.
Add a non-recurring event
- Select the “Add Event” link under the “main menu” tab.
- Type in a title for the event.
- If you are working with a single public calendar for publishing (the default) you will not be presented with a calendar to select. However, if you are working with more than a single publishing calendar or are logged in as a superuser, you must select a calendar. Typically this would be the default cals/mainCal.
- Select all day if this is an all day event.
- If you haven't selected all day:
- select a start date
- select a start time
- select an end date for the event
- select an end time or duration, or select this event has no duration or end date.
- Under recurrence leave at this event does not recur. See the next section for recurring events.
- Leave the event status as confirmed, or if the event is likely to be updated, select tentative. If an event has been canceled, select canceled; this will display a cancellation notice in the event title in calendar suites and data feeds.
- Enter more details about the event in the description. You must add something here.
- (Optionally) enter a cost for the event.
- (Optionally) enter a URL for the event, if you have a web page with more information about it.
- (Optionally) enter a URL for an image (jpeg, for example) to be displayed with the event details.
- Select a location for the event. For a more comprehensive list of locations, click on all. preferred lists locations you've already used.
- Select a contact for the event. For a more comprehensive list of contacts, click on all. preferred lists contacts you've already used.
- Select the topical area(s) with which you want to tag the events
- Select the “add event” button
Add a recurring event
- Follow steps 1 through 6 above
- Select event recurs
- Select how often the event recurs under frequency. For example if the event recurs every month, select monthly.
- Leave at forever -or-
Select times and type in a number to specify how many times you want the event to recur -or-
Select until and add an end date. Note: the end date you specify here is different from the end date you specified earlier for the event. The end date here is the date you want the recurrence to stop and not the end date for the event.
- For more advanced options, click show advanced rules. You might need to re-select monthly (or frequency of your choice) to see the advanced rules.
- If you want the event recurring every other month type in 2 under the interval label or any interval of your choice.
- You can specify how you would like the event to recur. For example, if you want the event to recur on the first Monday and Tuesday of the month and also on the last Monday and Tuesday, you can.
- You can also create exceptions for your recurring events. For example, if there is a public holiday on a Monday you have designated your event to recur. Create an exception by deleting the recurrence instance of the event after it is created.
- You can also create one-off recurrences for the event. Select a date under the “recurrence and exception dates” field and select the “add recurrence” button.
- Follow steps 8 through 16 above to add the event.
To Edit/delete an event
- Select manage events under main menu. Alternatively you can search for the event by typing the event name under event search in the main menu.
- You can show all events or active events or you can filter events by selecting a category.
- To edit an event, select the event under the Title column or, if the event recurs, click on master under the Description column. Changes you make to the master affect all instances of the event. To edit or delete a single instance of an event, click on instance under Description.
- When you are done with your changes click on update event.
An email will be sent to everyone with a Tech email account every Monday morningnotifying them of the weeks upcoming events. You do not have to sign-up for the weekly email. User submitted events will need to be approved by 4:30 p.m. the Friday before the email is sent.